Main | Encyclopedia | Chat Room | Live the Legend Forum

Go Back   Jurassic Park Legacy Forums > Visitors Center > Announcements & General Information

Announcements & General Information This forum is for important announcements regarding this message board as well as the rules. Please Read First Before Joining & Posting!

Unread 07-05-2011, 07:00 PM
JPLegacy Retired Staff/Co-Founder

AlphaChaosRaptor has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaChaosRaptor has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaChaosRaptor has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaChaosRaptor has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaChaosRaptor has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaChaosRaptor has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaChaosRaptor has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaChaosRaptor has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaChaosRaptor has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaChaosRaptor has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaChaosRaptor has a reputation beyond repute
Style: V.Sornaensis
Send a message via AIM to AlphaChaosRaptor Send a message via Skype™ to AlphaChaosRaptor

Unlike Facebook, this isn't about cosmetic crap. JPL has its share of enemies and we're sitting on a fairly outdated version of vBulletin. What we're looking at is this: spend more money and update the vBulletin software, or switch to less costly software with up to date security features. We can't afford to sit here and wait for someone to compromise the board, so that isn't an option. Sometimes I have to question whether people have their priorities straight. Honestly, I couldn't care less how the board looks or functions so long as it's a pain for anyone to try exploiting, and the colors don't blind me. The rest is icing on the cake. Skins, emoticons, etc. All of that is trivial by comparison. The only reason this thread is here is to see what software everyone likes, and if anyone with any technical knowledge knows of any other software worth looking into. That said, I hope we can move away from comments about skins, emoticons, post counts, whether we get to keep posts, etc. Even if it's the worst case scenario, and all of those little things go away, it'll still be worth it, as we will have a safe place to communicate. The primary purpose of a message board is communication, not the use of all of these little gimmicks everyone seems to take for granted these days. Maybe some of you haven't been around long enough to see what kind of havoc even the most basic types of attacks on a forum can cause, but I've been through many alongside Ty over the years, and it's not an experience we'd like to repeat. Have any of you had to deal with accounts being hijacked before? We want to be sure this cannot happen, because right now that's a real possibility.

Live the Legend | Main Site| Chat Room| Forum Rules | Encyclopedia | JPL DeviantArt Group
Men take up arms for little cause, or no cause at all, and once taken up they respect no law, divine or human.
Unread 07-05-2011, 07:13 PM
Compsognathus

nickdalzell is an unknown quantity at this point
Style: JPLegacy

the upgraded vbulletin software was done on DTVUSA and it made it slow, useless and off-putting. if you want to sacrifice a bit of your user base in the name of security, on nothing but a 'what if' scenario, that is your choice or the admin's it is their right. but all i can say is that the new version of vbulletin sucks. one reason i like this forum is not just the looks of it, but the fact that unlike the useless DTV site, it is usable and older. some forums deny access to the site if one does not use a paid email account, i am unsure if that beefs up security but if that is an option to maintain the current software i would be happy to pay for an email account to comply.
Unread 07-05-2011, 08:40 PM
JPLegacy Retired Staff/Co-Founder

AlphaChaosRaptor has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaChaosRaptor has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaChaosRaptor has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaChaosRaptor has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaChaosRaptor has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaChaosRaptor has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaChaosRaptor has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaChaosRaptor has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaChaosRaptor has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaChaosRaptor has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaChaosRaptor has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to AlphaChaosRaptor Send a message via Skype™ to AlphaChaosRaptor

Considering Ty and I are the admins, does it ever occur to you that we may know something about this situation that you do not? It's not a matter of if. It's a matter of when. Calling it a "what if" scenario based on your own wants does not change that. Have you ever had to deal with hijacked accounts before? I have. You might color it to be paranoia, but my experience says otherwise. To ignore such a threat is reckless in itself.

I decided to test the idea that the new version of vBulletin is slow, and went over to the board you mentioned. I found it to be instantly responsive. Perhaps it's not the forum software that's causing your problem.

Requiring a paid e-mail account is a potential deterrent, but it's not a guarantee that a user won't attempt to hack the board anyway. That's a mute point.

Live the Legend | Main Site| Chat Room| Forum Rules | Encyclopedia | JPL DeviantArt Group
Men take up arms for little cause, or no cause at all, and once taken up they respect no law, divine or human.
Unread 07-06-2011, 10:52 AM
JPLegacy Owner/Founder

Tyrannosaur has a reputation beyond reputeTyrannosaur has a reputation beyond reputeTyrannosaur has a reputation beyond reputeTyrannosaur has a reputation beyond reputeTyrannosaur has a reputation beyond reputeTyrannosaur has a reputation beyond reputeTyrannosaur has a reputation beyond reputeTyrannosaur has a reputation beyond reputeTyrannosaur has a reputation beyond reputeTyrannosaur has a reputation beyond reputeTyrannosaur has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Tyrannosaur Send a message via AIM to Tyrannosaur Send a message via MSN to Tyrannosaur Send a message via Yahoo to Tyrannosaur Send a message via Skype™ to Tyrannosaur

It looks like you are the only here that doesn't approve nick. So on that note do you want to fork out the money to keep the VBulletin and get the updates and continue to pay for support each following year? No? Don't have it? Welcome to the club.

This is why I am making the decision of change to a free and more secure option. So far SMF is winning in my book as it provides the same usability as vBulletin, but the only deterring fact is the skinning. There's another option also currently in the running recommended by another Admin presently. I will keep what you're saying under advisement nick, but for now we are surveying options and looking at other methods to maintaining this community in a secure manner. Security is my primary concern everything else is secondary. Your opinions have been noted.
Unread 07-06-2011, 02:07 PM
JPLegacy Retired/Honorary Staff

Clonehunter is a glorious beacon of lightClonehunter is a glorious beacon of lightClonehunter is a glorious beacon of light

Well, in the long run, is the skin that important? It sounds like the skinning thing (From what we/I have heard or belive to understand whether we/I do or do not) is the only tiny thread holding you back from saying:

"Alright, SMF it is. Period. End of discussion."

In order for it not to be hard on everyone eyes just make the whole 'background' or whatever the hell is in question black, or whatever this red color we have here is.
Unread 05-25-2012, 05:14 PM
Tyrannosaurus Rex

The Dino Hunter is a jewel in the roughThe Dino Hunter is a jewel in the rough

So whats the deal on this? Its been about a year and has anything been going on with the software switching?
Unread 05-25-2012, 05:35 PM

Nima has a spectacular aura about
Style: JPLegacy Jungle

I do like the way this website is set-up with Vbulletin, but I can understand cost as being a big issue to. I do have a question though. When you say more secure, what would that mean for the members? Would it just take longer to login? Sorry if the answer to this question seems obvious. I'm not very familiar with using different websites that allow people to subscribe and become members.
Unread 05-25-2012, 05:41 PM
Tyrannosaurus Rex

The Dino Hunter is a jewel in the roughThe Dino Hunter is a jewel in the rough

I hope it stays like this. I usually hate change on sites.
Unread 05-25-2012, 05:44 PM
JPLegacy Forum Manager

ArtisticRaptor has a reputation beyond reputeArtisticRaptor has a reputation beyond reputeArtisticRaptor has a reputation beyond reputeArtisticRaptor has a reputation beyond reputeArtisticRaptor has a reputation beyond reputeArtisticRaptor has a reputation beyond reputeArtisticRaptor has a reputation beyond reputeArtisticRaptor has a reputation beyond reputeArtisticRaptor has a reputation beyond reputeArtisticRaptor has a reputation beyond reputeArtisticRaptor has a reputation beyond repute

This was being considered when the boards were in danger of being hacked; since the problem's pretty much gone away, it hasn't been as much of a priority for TY, who'd have to transfer everything onto new servers. It would apparently be a very messy process, and he hasn't had much time as of late to worry about it, so it's taken a backseat.

So don't worry about it guys; if Ty feels he needs to move the boards in the future he'll let us all know. For now, this is kind of an old topic that isn't pertinent any more. ^^;
Unread 05-25-2012, 06:19 PM

Nima has a spectacular aura about
Style: JPLegacy Jungle

This post is a year old? Whoooops. I guess my brain took a mental leap to hyperspace. Sorry about that.